alvar-aalto-kulturhaus

the alvar-aalto-kulturhaus accommodates 3,500 square meters of floor space, the city library, offices of the city business culture, the „creative workshops“, the „forum architecture“ and a bistro. the long axis of the house is in the north-north-east-southwest direction. the facade is above the ground floor made of marble; richly articulated roof is covered with copper. behind the main entrance is the polygonal mainfoyer, from which the library and the fan-shaped lecture halls can be reached. on the upper floor, there is a roof garden in the middle of an extensive roof landscape, in addition to the lecture halls and the music library. after opening the roof windows, a fire place can be used in the upper floor.

gps: 52.419740, 10.785993 / code: deuwolneu0002

link to google maps

location: wolfsburg

architect: alvar aalto

completed: 1962

photo: 17/04/05

 

IMG_8683

heilig-geist church and community center

the heilig-geist church, the community house, a children’s day-care center and pastorate form a complex that is relatively alone in the garden-like environment. the buildings are erected of brickwork. the church is a white painted building which runs towards the altar. the roof is covered with copper plates and inclined towards the altar side. the curved roof almost reaches the ground. the entrance to the church is located in a porch and is located on the side opposite the altar from the interior. on a part of the northeast side is an irregularly arranged window front with curved wooden slats on the upper edge.

 gps: 52.409509, 10.769043 / code: deuwolneu0001

 link to google maps

 location: wolfsburg

 architect: alvar aalto

 completed: 1962

 photo: 17/05/04

 

IMG_8625

metahaus

metahaus is a listed building in the district of berlin-charlottenburg at leibnizstraße 65, corner niebuhrstraße. the building was erected in 1928/29 by hans heinrich müller as a decentralized conversion unit for the power supply in the district of charlottenburg as a steel skeleton construction with a red clinker façade. transformers and substations were used to transform the alternating current. it is a typical example of bewag’s industrial architecture of the 1920s. in 1951-53 an appendix was added, in 1984 the plant was decommissioned. between 1999 and 2001 the house was converted into a design center by architects petra and paul kahlfeldt.

gps: 52.504618, 13.313382 / code: deuberneu0002

link to google maps

location: berlin, germany

architect: hans heinrich müller

completed: 1929

photo: 17/03/25

 

IMG_7707      IMG_7711

 

appartementhaus hohenzollerndamm 35-36

the apartment houses at hohenzollerndamm were mainly built fot married couples without children.  the contractor’s company developed the ground plans for the individual 35-70 sqm apartment types. remarkably, scharoun created an organic connection between the streetside wings through the protruding balconies. as the curved body dominates the orthogonal form, erich mendelsohn’s buildings can be seen as a reminiscence. the overall effect of the facade is rhythmized by the different window formats, slight asymmetries and loggia openings. the dynamic corner solution gives the building a sculptural plasticity.in the attic of the rear wing are studio apartments, in the yard a garage.

gps: 52.489668, 13.310767 / code: deuberneu0001

link to google maps

location: berlin, germany

architect: hans scharoun, georg jacobowitz

completed: 1929-30

photo: 17/03/25

 

IMG_7738